File Storage in EN

ForumsTSW Q&A ForumFile Storage in EN

This topic has 4 voices, contains 4 replies, and was last updated by  Dan 780 days ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
January 19, 2012 at 9:57 am #618

lifeblueprintlady

First of all, thanks for creating the really helpful TSW videos & manifesto. I just started my own business and want to be efficient & nimble. Going paperless will allow me to access my files & work from anywhere. I set up EN + Outlook as recommended, and have already cleared my in-box… so I’m all in and energized.

Three questions:

1) With premium EN, what happens to files you upload if, someday, you don’t want to use EN any longer? How easy/difficult is it to retrieve everything you’ve stored there over the years?!

2) It appears some EN users do store everything there, insurance paperwork, receipts, etc. Is this the best option for true “storage” of your reference material, or is there a better cloud-based solution that integrates with EN, or ???

3) Is anyone aware of a good android app that will snap a photo of receipts and send to EN (to avoid having to take a scanner along)?

THANKS!

January 19, 2012 at 10:13 am #619

scott

Welcome to TSW, lifeblueprintlady. Love the moniker.

1) With premium EN, what happens to files you upload if, someday, you don’t want to use EN any longer? How easy/difficult is it to retrieve everything you’ve stored there over the years?!

hmm. Not sure. This is a good question for the forums at Evernote.com. I think once you cancel the account, your info is deleted.

2) It appears some EN users do store everything there, insurance paperwork, receipts, etc. Is this the best option for true “storage” of your reference material, or is there a better cloud-based solution that integrates with EN, or ???

I’m a huge fan of DropBox.com. It’s an amazingly easy cloud storage system. Syncs with multiple devices, including all smartphones. 2gigs or less is free. More is about $100/year.

3) Is anyone aware of a good android app that will snap a photo of receipts and send to EN (to avoid having to take a scanner along)?

I’m a Mac/iPhone guy, so I’m unfamiliar with the Android world. Any other forum users have an idea?

January 19, 2012 at 2:03 pm #620

ShawnMTherrien

Thank you for the questions. I had a dread sense of terror at the thought of everything I’m putting in there just not being there one morning.

So I checked out the desktop application on the PC.

On the PC, you can highlight 1+ note (all notes, ctrl+A) and right click on the highlighted note(s) or use the File Menu and choose “Export Notes…”. This will allow you to export the notes as a series of separate files, or a local HTML website. It’s actually pretty cool.

But that gives you images, but not the actual documents you’ve attached. I’ve found that clicking on an Excel file in the HTML page that was build points to a file in the tmp directory that no longer exists. Seems like a bug in their process.

Choose “Save Attachments” and all of the attachments will save in the directory indicated.

Be warned that files without name are just named for their type. I have Image [1] through Image [150]… not that useful.
But files with names, such as an Excel document attached to an email retain their names.

On the android, taking a picture of a receipt is our phone OS.

You can just take a picture.

Also in Evernote, when you’re in a note, you can press the camera button and the OS Camera application comes up. You take a pic and it uploads that picture to the note.

Watch out for size. They estimate how many pictures you have, though my phone (Samsung Inspire) takes 8mp photos, so it’s really using the HD photo estimate rather than the cell phone estimate. I blew through my initial 60mb quickly with a few pictures while testing out the text recognition features in Evernote.

January 19, 2012 at 8:09 pm #623

lifeblueprintlady

Thanks to you both; very helpful.

February 27, 2012 at 1:05 pm #704

Dan

Too add to Shawn’s response, I like the FastEver apps (on iPhone). I’m sure they’re on Android, as well. And I have a dropbox folder called “Add to Evernote” that uses EN’s auto-sync ability. As soon as I drop a doc in there, it is added to EN nearly immediately. You can create any number of EN sync folders. They don’t *have* to be housed in Evernote. I have a recruiter who made all of her resume archives sync-able. She loves that feature. She didn’t need to change her old workflow at all but get to migrate her resume database to the cloud.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.