How to import Mac Mail into Evernote

Forums TSW Q&A Forum How to import Mac Mail into Evernote

This topic contains 19 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  whumpin 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
November 17, 2011 at 12:13 pm #457

scott

Someone asked me today:
“I was following videos regarding imap and Setting up Imap and Emptying The Inbox.
Outlook was used as example and showed a menu to inport emails into Evernote. I could not find a similar in MAIL.
Any suggestions ?”

My answer:
Yes, it’s the biggest difference between the PC and Mac version of Evernote: no Mail way to port emails (en masse or one by one) to EN.

However, there’s a great way, just has to be done one email at a time, and I use it constantly throughout the day: You email it to EN, via your personal custom EN email address, which EN gave you when you signed up for a free account. You can find that weird email address by going to Evernote menu: Account Info…

Place that email address into your Address Book. Call it simply “Evernote.”

Then, each time you have an email that has an Action Item in it, forward that email to “Evernote.” 10 seconds after you do this, that email will appear as a to-do in your Evernote list, ready to be given a Context/tag. You can now delete that sucker from your email Inbox, because it’s now in your trusted system.

The TSW forum doesn’t have an easy image uploader (it’s coming) yet, but here’s the image online of where to find your unique email address:

November 17, 2011 at 3:35 pm #459

dbaker

Ok, toolbars should be showing up and image posting should be live

November 18, 2011 at 5:22 pm #470

scott

thanks, Magic Dave!

December 13, 2011 at 5:57 pm #565

whitness

Even easier solution:

1. Select multiple messages in mail.
2. Command-P
3. In the lower left you’ll see a PDF button, which basically converts your mail into a PDF. Clicking on this button unleashes some options, one of which is PDF to Evernote.
4. All these things immediately chirp up as separate notes in EN.
;)

December 13, 2011 at 6:16 pm #566

scott

Whoa. Whitness, where’d you learn that one? That’s very cool. I’d never seen that in the PDF drop-down menu before.

I’m putting this into the Manifesto!

December 13, 2011 at 7:04 pm #567

whitness

I first figured it out when trying to make a productivity spreadsheet in Numbers and wanted to save it in Evernote. I just applied it after watching the videos and converting my EN into TSW. The only problem I can see is that pdf’s kind of include images into their…fabric? I have to take a screenshot to snag it out of the pdf. For mails with images (which would be over a certain file size), I still recommend the email forwarding.

January 19, 2012 at 2:14 pm #621

FoolishCop

This is terrific! I’m new to EN, GTD, and TSW and have been looking for ways to get my gmail to EN in bulk, but it’s not so easy as one would suspect. I thought I had found a solution at Digital Inspiration as they had devised a script using Google Docs to automatically forward emails to EN.

http://www.labnol.org/internet/auto-forward-gmail-messages/20665/

It’s good, but EN/Gmail limits forwarded emails to just 50 emails (at least the free version of EN does). With several thousand in my inbox it will take awhile to get it empty.

This new way thru Mac Mail is so much better without the limitations. I can blow through my email backlog in no time!

Thanks for a great site and program.

Rich

January 23, 2012 at 9:34 am #629

scott

Great suggestions, Rich, thanks for posting.

February 22, 2012 at 3:44 pm #678

tBunnyMan

Here! I wrote up this quick script to bounce messages to evernote. Using the redirect function sends a clean version without the quotes or sent by stuff. This version of the script ONLY sends an email to evernote. Nothing more, nothing less. I use a version that also marks read and archives but I doubt everyone wants that.

Don’t forget to replace [email protected] with your evernote email address!

(*
Email to Evernote

Copyright © 2012 theBunnyMan

This script uses Apple Mail's redirect function to archive clean unedited copies
of messages to Evernote.
*)

# You need to put your own special Evernote Email address here.
set evernoteEmail to "[email protected]"

tell application "Mail"
set selectedMessages to selection
if (count of selectedMessages) is 0 then
display alert ¬
"No messages selected" message ¬
"You must select at least one message to send to evernote" as critical
else
repeat with messageNumber from 1 to (count of selectedMessages)
set theMessage to item messageNumber of selectedMessages
set outMessage to redirect theMessage
tell outMessage
make new to recipient at end of to recipients with properties {address:evernoteEmail}
send
end tell

end repeat
end if
end tell

February 22, 2012 at 4:05 pm #679

tBunnyMan

I can’t believe I forgot to mention, the script is designed to do a bulk of email. Highlight all the emails you want to send in mail and run the script. Good for that big bulk import

February 25, 2012 at 7:56 pm #697

rutledgek

Thanks for the script! Do you know the code to use to move the message to a folder after it is bounced?

Never Mind.

set theMessage to item messageNumber of selectedMessages
move theMessage to mailbox "Archived Messages/2012" of account "Personal"
just before the end repeat code.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by  rutledgek.
March 8, 2012 at 5:59 pm #723

rutledgek

My only wish is that the redirect to evernote would somehow keep the original date of the email as the created date in evernote.

March 9, 2012 at 12:11 am #724

zac

My Mac Mail didn’t have that ‘PDF to Evernote’ option in the drop down so I created one. Hopefully this will help other people in the same boat as me.

1. Click the lower left PDF drop down.
2. Go to the bottom of the list to “edit menu”
3. Click the + button in the bottom left.
4. Open your ‘Applications’ Folder, Select the ‘Evernote’ Application, and click Open.
5. Back in the edit PDF Menu Evernote should now be on the list, click OK and your all set.

Its not a hard thing to do, but some people maybe less familiar with computer stuff as others.

March 10, 2012 at 7:54 pm #735

glpglp

As a Mac user who would really like to see a Tag Column, here is what I did for a work around.

In the Stack that contains the Actions Pending folder, I created another folder called .Inbox and set that folder as my Default Folder for EN. Now all of the new items go to this folder, and I then tag all of the actions in the .Inbox folder. Next, I drag the newly tagged items from .Inbox folder to the Actions Pending folder … also, if the item is actionable right then I do it. Yes, there is an extra step when I have to drag the items to the Actions Pending folder, but I find this much easier than searching through all the items for untagged items.

March 14, 2012 at 9:38 am #753

thog

Zac,
That did not work for me. It shows up in the list the first time I add it- but when i click “okay” it still doesn’t show up in the pdf dropdown. When I go back to “edit menu” evernote is no longer in the list (along with itunes and adobe). I have tried a new installation from evernotes website (not mac store) and adding an evernote alias to library/pdf services, but nothing is working to get “Save pdf to evernote” for me. ANy ideas?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.