Recuring tasks

ForumsTSW Q&A ForumRecuring tasks

This topic has 4 voices, contains 5 replies, and was last updated by  chanzie 363 days ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
April 4, 2012 at 8:58 am #922

vfarcy

Hello everyone,

I would be interested in knowing how do you manage recurring tasks ? Sounds like Evernote is definitely not relevant in doing it.

Thanks in advance,

April 5, 2012 at 8:52 am #933

jeff

Anything that is time specific I put into the Calendar, recurring if appropriate. If it is something I want to habituate, I tag it with !Daily, as I view that first thing every day. In the culture of TSW, I review my 1-Now items multiple times a day, so that is always my primary focus. If I really want to not forget something, I just leave it there. There is one other way one might approach this. Anything I am waiting on gets a Waiting context. I will change the created date to a future date to tell myself when I want to revisit that waiting item. I then filter on waiting, sort by created date, and view what is bubbling to the present. Depending on how often your recurring action is, you can choose from these methods.

April 5, 2012 at 12:28 pm #936

vfarcy

Thank you @jeff for your answer.

I see two drawbacks in putting time specific / recurring tasks into the Calendar, first is that it requires yet another manual task, which make the process not seamless, second, I’m used to putting only (face to face) meeting into the calendar.

I probably prefer using the Waiting context and modifying the created date accordingly. I will try that, anyway, I would be interested in getting other possible solutions :-)

April 7, 2012 at 10:58 am #938

jeff

I would only put specific appointments into the Calendar, not “a reminder” with a subjective time.
By havinging them in !Daily or 1-Now, I review them intraday, and won’t forget, and don’t have any other premium of input, tracking, or update.

April 25, 2013 at 1:21 pm #1588

ianfusa

You can use IFTTT to create notes in Evernote at a set day/time, etc. each day/week/month/year – while doing this, you can auto-assign tags, the notebook to use, etc. I use this for my weekly tasks. One thing it doesn’t do, however, is create a note every other week, which I would find useful.

April 25, 2013 at 7:08 pm #1589

chanzie

Here’s how I manage reoccurring tasks:

In EN, I have a heading tag called .TICKLER FILE, with 2 sub-tags:

DATE (with sub-tags: 01, 02, 03….31)
MONTH (with sub-tags: 01-Jan, 02-Feb, 03-Mar…..)

I really like this system because, if I want to do something (or follow up on something) on say the ’8th’, I just quickly slap a ’08′ tag on it. Done.

Each day, I look at today’s tag and see if there is anything I have tagged with that particular day. If I decide I want to wait on one of those tasks for a few days, I simply change the tag to a different #.

Another example: I like to pay bills around the 10th and 25th. I have a note ‘Pay Bills’ and I have it tagged with just these two date tags. (I don’t have it tagged with a “.When” tag). When the 25th gets here, I will either pay the bills OR, I will be busy (and procrastinate) and, at that time, slap a “1-Now” tag on it so I’m reminded I need to pay these asap! As soon as I pay them, I just remove the ’1-Now’ tag. The 10th and 25th tags remain for next time.

The MONTH tag is great for tasks that you need to remember, but don’t want to be bothered with until that month comes up. Examples: When to get car inspected, when am I eligible for an upgrade on my phone, when is it time to start planning for that trip….

At the end of every month, I look at next months tags and, at that time, add any other .W tags I need in order to start getting it done.

I like this Tickler system because it’s quick and I can stay right there within EN.

(Note: appts and hard deadlines still go on a calendar).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.